We believe that Lafarge Malaysia will only succeed in the long term if our actions respect the common interest. This means we must not only comply with laws but also conduct our businesses consistent with sustainable development principles.
At the same time, we must take into account the views and opinions of our stakeholders.
We are committed to the protection of the environment, human health and well being, to the mitigation of climate change and the conservation of nature.
Our objective is to ensure the continued improvement of our environmental performance. We aim to use energy and natural resources more efficiently, minimise the production of waste, harmful air emissions, and water discharges while seeking ways to preserve heritage, landscape and biological diversity. In order to implement this policy,
Lafarge Malaysia commits to:
- Operate our facilities in a manner that meets local laws, standards and regulations and state of the art environmental management systems requirements.
- Minimise the exposure of our employees and the communities we work in to environmental, health and safety risks by employing safe technologies and operating procedures.
- Minimise the use of non-renewable resources and, where feasible and safe, replace them with substitute raw materials, alternative fuels or biomass.
- Minimise the amount of hazardous and other wastes we generate, reuse and recycle materials where feasible and dispose of wastes using safe and responsible methods.
- Implement programs to prevent accidental releases; have emergency response action programs in place at all sites.
- Conduct environmental audits for all existing facilities on a routine schedule and in connection with all acquisitions and divestments.
- Develop a rehabilitation plan for all quarry sites that responds to the needs and expectations of our stakeholders and, where feasible, fosters wildlife habitat creation and contributes to the conservation of endangered species.
Greenfield Site Development and Major Modification Projects
Carry out an environmental impacts study when selecting greenfield sites for development or developing major modification projects, and adhere to conditions required as a result of being in close proximity to protected areas or habitats.
Resources, Training, Research
- Provide adequate financial and human resources, employee training and awareness raising to facilitate continuous improvement in environmental performance.
- Take the necessary steps, including sponsoring research, to improve our knowledge of the environmental impacts of our processes and products.
- Evaluate the environmental values and policies of subcontractor and supplier candidates as part of the selection process.
- Require our subcontractors and suppliers to respect our environmental, health and safety values and comply with our policies and procedures when present on our premises.
- Implement sustainability and product stewardship practices in the design, manufacturing, distribution and application of our products to enhance their contribution to sustainable construction, minimise their impact on human health and the environment, and limit the amount of wastes generated and disposed of.
- Provide our stakeholders routinely with environmental information about our operations and products in an open manner. We will solicit their feedback and encourage a candid dialogue. We will hold ourselves accountable to our stakeholders for our actions.
- Cooperate pro-actively with legislators and regulators to evaluate the feasibility, impact, and cost/benefit of proposed laws, regulations and standards.